The Auto Union 1000 is a luxury compact front-wheel drive automobile manufactured by Auto Union GmbH between 1958 and 1965. It was the first (and in many markets the last) model branded as an Auto Union by the manufacturer since the 1930s; it replaced the paradoxically named DKW 3=6, although the latter continued in production, reassuringly now branded as the DKW 900, for another year. The two cars were broadly similar, but the new car had its two-stroke engine enlarged to 981 cc yielding a 10% - 37% (according to model) power increase.
Apart from the enlarged engine, which now provided in the base model 44 bhp (33 kW), the 1000 featured the old four-ring Auto Union badge across the air grill along with the Auto Union name above it, in place of the DKW badge that had adorned the nose of the earlier model.
A 1000S coupé was tested by the British The Motor magazine in 1960 and had a top speed of 80.9 mph (130.2 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 23.6 seconds. A fuel consumption of 31.5 miles per imperial gallon (9.0 L/100 km; 26.2 mpg‑US) was recorded. The test car cost £1259 including taxes on the UK market. In the same year, the much larger Austin Westminster retailed for only £1148 in the UK, reflecting, in particular, the extent to which British automakers were still protected by import tariffs in their home market.
The Auto Union's 981-cc two-stroke three-cylinder engine was available in various states of tune. After 1960, advertised power in the saloon versions was increased to 50 bhp (37 kW). Power was delivered via a four-speed manual gearbox, controlled using a column-mounted lever. The electrical system was a six-volt one, which by this time was beginning to look old fashioned.
#cars #car #bmw #beautifulcar#beautifulcars #audi♥️ #audi #oldaudi #interesting #followmeplease #followme #follow#interestingfactsaboutcar #like #likeme #likeit #newpost #oldcarvsnew #oldvsnew #oldvsnewcar